Monday, December 17, 2012

Lost

Weird.

I dreamed about Lost last night.

In particular, I dreamed that I was on the island. I was working for some company that would fire you after two mistakes. I'd already made one. I had an idea, though, to take tourists to some island in Japan and was going to try to "sell" them on the day trip. Then, Sawyer came back. He had gone underwater at one point and everyone thought he was dead. They were suspicious, wanting to know how he survived. I had a thing for him (which is weird, since in reality, I basically liked his character but that's the extent of it)and so I was glad to see him back. I was friendly, but I was awkward, like a bookish teenager trying to flirt. I wasn't really a blip on his radar, and so my friendly overtures were largely ignored. Instead, there was another woman that he hooked up with. I basically forgot all about it, and got to doing various tasks. I was in the middle of a task when the woman he had hooked up with came to me. She was upset about something, having a crisis, and wanted me to listen to her problems. I felt put out. I was in the middle of doing something and, to be honest, didn't feel like dealing with it at that time. Still, I felt like I ought to and felt bad about not particularly wanting to help. I was apologetic, and explained I'd love to help out later, but I really had to do this one thing. I then went back to work.

Off the top of my head, this is the symbolism that I can think of...

Sawyer: Sawyer was a conman on the show. So, I think he represents someone that I came to see as a conman. This would be someone I trusted, even when other people were suspicious.

Flirtation: in general, this is a desire for connection, perhaps recognition, which goes overlooked.

Work: This is general anxiety about goal achievement, particularly at the beginning.This points to a general environment with very high standards.

Task: At the end, I needed to get something done, but it was a different type of work than I was doing at the beginning. There was also no threat of losing my job. In this case, the task seemed to be avoiding the more emotionally charged situation, and there's an element of not wanting to deal with emotions--mine and others. Since the woman in the dream was someone preferred by the conman, it may refer to trying to shut out feelings of envy, where others get more prestige and recognition. Feeling an obligation to them but not wanting to deal with the emotions that interacting with them will trigger and so hiding behind one's responsibilities to avoid the situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment